A Federal Way man was charged with malicious harassment Thursday morning in connection with an attack on a 7-Eleven clerk from Pakistan...
A Federal Way man was charged with malicious harassment Thursday morning in connection with an attack on a 7-Eleven clerk from Pakistan.
According to King County charging documents, Douglas Paul Jones, 25, went into the store on First Avenue South just before 3:30 a.m., Sunday and yelled at Zafar Ansari.
The clerk told police Jones called him a derogatory name and then punched him and threw merchandise from the counter at him.
Ansari said Jones then left, at which point Ansari called police. Jones returned before police arrived and punched Ansari again, yelling, “Go home,” according to court documents.
Most Read Local Stories
- Researchers attach cameras to Pacific Northwest orcas, revealing a marvelous underwater world WATCH
- Coronavirus daily news updates, September 19: What to know today about COVID-19 in the Seattle area, Washington state and the world
- What health officials say you should do now that Seattle's air quality has improved
- Rain and westerly winds scour out wildfire smoke, and Western Washington air quality returns to normal
- After prostitution arrest, Seattle police captain got preferential treatment from fellow officers WATCH
Ansari told police he was confused about the slur Jones used, because he was from Pakistan.
The attacker had left when police arrived.
An officer spotted a car that matched the description provided by the clerk in the parking lot of a nearby condominium and found Jones inside an apartment, according to charging papers.
Police said Jones smelled of alcohol and was slurring his words.
According to court papers, Jones recently moved to the area from Idaho, where he has several criminal convictions.
Jones’ bail has been set at $25,000.
He is to be arraigned at the county courthouse in Kent on Sept. 30. Malicious-harassment charges can be brought under the state’s hate-crime law.
Natalie Singer: 206-464-2704 or firstname.lastname@example.org