Federal authorities say they've arrested two men caught trying to sneak into Washington state from Canada with more than $500,000. The men reportedly had...
Federal authorities say they’ve arrested two men caught trying to sneak into Washington state from Canada with more than $500,000.
The men reportedly had a mix of U.S. and Canadian currency. They were expected to make initial appearances in U.S. District Court in Seattle on Thursday afternoon.
News of the seizure came as the Seattle U.S. Attorney Jenny Durkan announced that during fiscal year 2010, her office collected $16.6 million in criminal, civil and forfeiture actions. Federal prosecutors nationwide collected a record-high $6.7 billion.
Next year’s total from the Western District of Washington could be even higher, because it will include nearly $10 million in cash and property forfeited to the government during the prosecution of late Seattle strip club boss Frank Colacurcio and his associates.
Most Read Local Stories
- How a UW entomologist reported the first U.S. sighting of the giant Atlas moth
- Seattle saw one of its warmest nights ever, and more heat is ahead
- More delays for light rail to Bellevue, Redmond, Federal Way, Lynnwood
- Homelessness along South King County's Green River grows, attracting new attention
- Aurora borealis may be visible from Seattle this week