The road is expected to remain closed for several hours, the King County Sheriff's Office said.
One person died and two others were hospitalized after a head-on collision on Highway 99 in Shoreline Thursday morning. The road was closed in both directions for hours, but was reopened shortly before noon.
The accident occurred near the highway’s intersection with North 155th Street, Sgt. Ryan Abbott, spokesman for the King County Sheriff’s Office, said by phone.
The injured people were taken to Harborview Medical Center in Seattle with potentially life-threatening injuries, he said.
The cause of the crash is under investigation, but Abbott said it appears that a taxi was headed northbound on the highway around 7 a.m. when the driver of a southbound vehicle crossed the centerline and hit the taxi head on.
Most Read Local Stories
- 'Unwanted subject': What led a Kirkland yogurt shop to call police on a black man | Danny Westneat
- Puget Sound orcas are in town, chasing chum and wowing ferry riders WATCH
- Lynnwood man who raped dying woman gets less than 3 years in prison
- Auburn man sentenced to prison for racially motivated baseball-bat attack VIEW
- Recounts likely in a handful of Washington state legislative races
The passenger in the taxi died at the scene, while drivers of the cab and the other vehicle were injured, he said.
Two other vehicles were also involved, Abbott said, but the vehicles were damaged only slightly and neither driver was injured.