The road is expected to remain closed for several hours, the King County Sheriff's Office said.
One person died and two others were hospitalized after a head-on collision on Highway 99 in Shoreline Thursday morning. The road was closed in both directions for hours, but was reopened shortly before noon.
The accident occurred near the highway’s intersection with North 155th Street, Sgt. Ryan Abbott, spokesman for the King County Sheriff’s Office, said by phone.
The injured people were taken to Harborview Medical Center in Seattle with potentially life-threatening injuries, he said.
The cause of the crash is under investigation, but Abbott said it appears that a taxi was headed northbound on the highway around 7 a.m. when the driver of a southbound vehicle crossed the centerline and hit the taxi head on.
Most Read Local Stories
- As STEM majors soar at UW, interest in humanities shrinks — a potentially costly loss
- Teen shot at Walmart in Renton was a 'good kid' and father of two, grandmother says
- New Yorker article about marijuana strikes nerve with pot researchers
- $3M awarded to children molested by 'psychopath' foster child placed by state with Island County family
- Teen dies after shooting in Renton Walmart parking lot Sunday
The passenger in the taxi died at the scene, while drivers of the cab and the other vehicle were injured, he said.
Two other vehicles were also involved, Abbott said, but the vehicles were damaged only slightly and neither driver was injured.