A family turns to Craigslist to recover their mother's stolen ashes.
LOON LAKE, Stevens County — A Northeast Washington family has turned to Craigslist in an effort to recover their mother’s stolen ashes.
KXLY reports (is.gd/CRMHyg) that Nellie Montague’s ashes were stolen in October from the family’s Loon Lake property. Relatives posted a Craigslist ad asking if people know anything about the stolen ashes.
The family says she died in January, and the ashes were kept in the family home. Nellie’s son Mike Montague says they had planned to spread the ashes where his dad’s ashes were scattered.
Montague says the thieves who took his mother’s ashes left behind items like a TV and a DVD player.
Most Read Local Stories
- Ferry-naming contest draws comically creative ideas — but let's get real, Washington state says
- Coronavirus daily news updates, September 27: What to know today about COVID-19 in the Seattle area, Washington state and the world
- WSP trooper whose work was key to investigation of 2017 DuPont Amtrak derailment dies from COVID
- Light rail ready to open at Northgate, transforming more than just commutes
- Rain will stick around this week in the Seattle area, with a chance for thunderstorms
Still, he figures his mother would have told her loved ones not to worry. In his words, “My mother would say, ‘Oh just roll with the punches.’ That’s how she was.”