Share story

Nate Hatch, one of five students shot by a classmate at Marysville-Pilchuck High School on Oct. 24, was released Thursday from Harborview Medical Center.

The sophomore was greeted by more than 200 friends and relatives who gathered along the road leading onto the Tulalip Indian Reservation to welcome him home.

Hatch, 15, who was shot in the jaw, had been hospitalized since his cousin, Jaylen Fryberg, opened fire in the school cafeteria, killing three girls and wounding Hatch and another boy.

Fryberg, 15, then killed himself.

Fryberg texted five friends to meet him for lunch, authorities said. Once seated at a round table in the school’s main cafeteria, Fryberg opened fire with a .40-caliber Beretta handgun.

Killed were Zoe Galasso, Gia Soriano and Shaylee Chuckulnaskit, all 14. Andrew Fryberg, 15, remains in critical condition in the intensive-care unit at Harborview.

Susan Gregg, spokeswoman for Harborview Medical Center, said Thursday the Hatch family is not yet ready to speak publicly. The family released a statement through the hospital.

“We appreciate all the amazing support we have received from the community. We are grateful for the top-notch care Nate received from the team at Harborview Medical Center. Our hearts and prayers go out to all the families who have been affected by this horrific tragedy. Please allow us the privacy we need to continue on the road of recovery. Thank you.”

During his hospital stay, Hatch kept his friends and well-wishers informed via Twitter. He asked people to pray for Andrew Fryberg and announced that he had forgiven Jaylen Fryberg.

On Wednesday, he even tweeted a photo of himself with Grammy Award-winning rapper Macklemore, who had apparently stopped by for a visit.

Services for Galasso were held at a church in Marysville last weekend.

An interfaith service for Chuckulnaskit was held Thursday night on the Tulalip Reservation. A memorial will be held at the reservation at 10 a.m. Friday, according to her obituary.

A memorial service for Soriano will be held at 10 a.m. on Nov. 15 at Immaculate Conception Church in Everett, her obituary says.

The funeral for Jaylen Fryberg was held on the reservation last week.

The investigation could take months to wrap up, and Fryberg’s motive may never be completely understood, Snohomish County Sheriff Ty Trenary said last month.

“The question everybody wants is why, and quite candidly I don’t know the why is something we can provide,” Trenary said.

Information from Seattle Times archives and The Associated Press is included in this report.Jennifer Sullivan: 206-464-8294 or On Twitter @SeattleSullivan.