Former University of Washington basketball player Doug Wrenn was convicted Tuesday of harassing an ex-girlfriend and her friends. He was found guilty of cyberstalking and telephone harassment.

Share story

Former University of Washington basketball player Doug Wrenn was convicted Tuesday of harassing an ex-girlfriend and her friends.

Seattle Municipal Court Judge C. Kimi Kondo found Wrenn guilty of four counts of cyberstalking and four counts of telephone harassment during a stipulated bench trial. During the daylong hearing, Kondo read police reports aloud before rendering the guilty findings on the gross misdemeanors.

Another four charges filed against Wrenn involving the alleged harassment of his ex-girlfriend were dismissed by city prosecutors.

Kondo sentenced Wrenn to the time he already has served behind bars since his April 16 arrest. He was expected to be released shortly.

“Your honor, it’s hard for me to articulate how I feel to you. We should move on with our lives; it’s for the best,” Wrenn said to Kondo shortly before he was sentenced.

Wrenn’s ex-girlfriend sat through Tuesday’s hearing and said that Wrenn “terrorized” her for months. She said Wrenn “did all of this deliberately and intentionally.”

The woman asked Kondo to “do anything you can to protect my privacy from further violation.”

Wrenn, 32, was arrested after months of stalking and harassing his ex-girlfriend and her friends, according to police. In court Tuesday, evidence was presented that indicated Wrenn called, emailed and texted his ex-girlfriend hundreds of times between February and April. Wrenn also sent out sexually explicit photos of the ex-girlfriend.

Assistant City Attorney Lorna Staten Sylvester recommended that Wrenn serve a combination of credit for time served, with some time suspended, as long as Wrenn committed no new crimes. Defense attorney Diego Vargas also sought a sentence of credit for time served and a suspended sentence.

Sylvester criticized Wrenn for failing to apologize to his ex-girlfriend.

“It’s clear he is a complete narcissist,” Sylvester said. “We hope his time in jail has made him realize he can’t treat people that way.”

Several people sat in the courtroom in support of Wrenn, including Leah Altaras, a former King County deputy prosecutor.

Altaras resigned from the prosecutor’s office in September after police investigated her connection to Wrenn.

Altaras was seen by a maintenance worker at Wrenn’s Bellevue condominium the night of his April arrest, authorities said. Police said phone records also revealed Altaras had spoken with Wrenn several times after his arrest.

She was never charged criminally.

Altaras, on Tuesday, said that she is now running her own criminal law practice. She said she and Wrenn are friends.

Wrenn, who attended O’Dea High School, played two seasons at the University of Washington. As a sophomore, he averaged 19.5 points and was voted first-team All-Pac-10 by conference coaches after the 2001-02 season. Wrenn chose to forgo his senior season to declare for the NBA draft.

Undrafted, he played several years in minor basketball leagues and overseas. Wrenn last played in South Korea in December 2007.

In February 2009, Wrenn was convicted of two counts of second-degree assault with a handgun after he threatened two people at a Bellevue intersection in March 2008. He was sentenced to a year and a day in prison.

Jennifer Sullivan: 206-464-8294 or On Twitter @SeattleSullivan.

Seattle Times news researcher Miyoko Wolf contributed to this report, which includes information from Times archives.