From The Associated Press:
SPOKANE — The man who died in a kayaking accident Sunday on Rock Lake in Whitman County has been identified as a first-year Gonzaga student, 18-year-old Chris Gormley of Everett.
KXLY reports the university president sent a letter to the campus community extending sympathies to his family.
Gormley was among seven kayakers on the lake when winds and rough waves caused three to capsize. One made it to shore. Gormley and another person were rescued and taken to a hospital where Gormley died. The other person was reported in good condition.
Most Read Local Stories
- Missing Lummi Nation woman found alive, aunt says
- Washington state analyzed two COVID scenarios for fall. One is much worse than the other
- King County head of homelessness may be an 'impossible' job, but Marc Dones is optimistic
- Coronavirus daily news updates, September 24: What to know today about COVID-19 in the Seattle area, Washington state and the world
- Wondering why society went off-kilter during the pandemic? It was all predicted in this book