A Gonzaga University student from Everett was killed in a kayaking accident Sunday.
Gonzaga University officials Monday identified the victim of a kayaking accident as a first-year honor student from Everett.
Christopher J. Gormley, the son of Chris and Susan Gormley, died after being pulled from the icy water of Rock Lake in northwestern Whitman County on Sunday afternoon.
He was one of seven people on a Gonzaga outdoors-program outing through the Spokane Parks and Recreation Department.
Gormley was one of three participants who went into the water when wind-whipped waves caused their water craft to tip. The air temperature was 34 degrees, according to the Whitman County Sheriff’s Office.
Most Read Local Stories
- Wondering why society went off-kilter during the pandemic? It was all predicted in this book
- COVID hospitalizations down in Washington, but deaths are on the rise
- Video shows helicopter rescue of missing hiker in Olympic National Park
- He found an intact headstone buried in his Seattle backyard. You might, too
- 60,000 Seattle-area renters are behind on rent as eviction moratoriums near expiration
Gormley was taken to a Spokane hospital for treatment of hypothermia but did not survive, the Sheriff’s Office said Sunday.