An Everett woman remains in critical condition at Harborview Medical Center in Seattle after being injured when her apartment caught fire Sunday night.
The 72-year-old woman is being treated in the hospital’s intensive care unit, according to hospital spokeswoman Susan Gregg.
Firefighters found smoking materials in the area where the woman was sitting, leading investigators to think that a cigarette was the source of the fire, said Everett Fire Marshal Rick Robinson. Although the apartment’s sprinkler had extinguished the blaze, firefighters found the woman struggling for her life in the smoke-filled apartment.
Most Read Local Stories
- Big gap between Pfizer, Moderna vaccines seen for preventing COVID hospitalizations
- Wondering why society went off-kilter during the pandemic? It was all predicted in this book
- 2 killed in crash on I-90 after car hydroplaned, officials say
- Seattle-area residents should prepare for wild weather ahead, forecasters say
- Washington state workers are getting exemptions to avoid the COVID-19 vaccine — but will they keep their jobs?
The fire, which was reported at 11:23 p.m. at Holly Village Apartments in the 9600 block of Holly Drive, was contained to the woman’s apartment, according to the fire department.