The King County Sheriff’s Office is investigating the man’s death.
A man’s body was found floating east of Vashon Island early Wednesday, King County sheriff’s deputies said.
Before making that discovery, the Coast Guard found an empty aluminum boat, carrying a cellphone and lifejacket, in the water between Des Moines and the island, deputies said. It’s unclear if the boat and the man’s death are related.
First using a helicopter, Coast Guard officers pulled the body from the water shortly after 10 a.m., deputies said. The King County Sheriff’s Office then took over the investigation into the man’s death.
Investigators believe the man was a Vashon Island resident and 59 years old, the sheriff’s office said.
Most Read Local Stories
- Amazon lost the Seattle City Council elections after a $1 million power play. Will it see a new head tax?
- Seattle Children's hospital again closes some operating rooms because of mold
- A hidden injustice: Solitary confinement in Washington state prisons | Naomi Ishisaka
- Socialist Kshama Sawant declares victory in Seattle City Council race VIEW
- Outside of Seattle, homelessness drives change at the ballot box
Medical examiners will formally identify him and determine his manner of death.