The King County Sheriff’s Office is investigating the man’s death.
A man’s body was found floating east of Vashon Island early Wednesday, King County sheriff’s deputies said.
Before making that discovery, the Coast Guard found an empty aluminum boat, carrying a cellphone and lifejacket, in the water between Des Moines and the island, deputies said. It’s unclear if the boat and the man’s death are related.
First using a helicopter, Coast Guard officers pulled the body from the water shortly after 10 a.m., deputies said. The King County Sheriff’s Office then took over the investigation into the man’s death.
Investigators believe the man was a Vashon Island resident and 59 years old, the sheriff’s office said.
Most Read Local Stories
- Two Boeing employees shot and injured on I-5 early Tuesday
- Public health officials in Snohomish, other Western Washington counties urge mask use indoors as COVID cases rise
- Seattle's longstanding 'urban village' strategy for growth needs reworking, new report says
- Coronavirus daily news updates, July 27: What to know today about COVID-19 in the Seattle area, Washington state and the world
- Delta coronavirus variant now dominant in Washington. New study questions J&J vaccine efficacy against strain
Medical examiners will formally identify him and determine his manner of death.