First Place, a school with students in kindergarten through fifth grade, said it received a grant to stay open for the rest of the school year without state funds or disruption to its 106 students.

Share story

The first charter school in Washington will go back to being a tuition-free private school after the state Supreme Court struck down the charter-school law as unconstitutional, officials announced Monday.

All nine charter schools in Washington, including eight that opened last fall, have been scrambling to find a way to keep their doors open after losing state funding. The others said last week that they will go a different way and try to become so-called Alternative Learning Experiences under the umbrella of the Mary Walker School District in Eastern Washington.

First Place, a school with students in kindergarten through fifth grade, said it received a grant to stay open for the rest of the school year without state funds or disruption to its 106 students.

It was a private school for decades, serving homeless and other vulnerable students in Seattle’s Central District, before becoming Washington’s first charter school last year.

Read more

But the school’s transition back to a private school is beginning to look as messy as its conversion to a charter school last year, with parents and staff at the school frustrated about the leadership on the school’s board.

An attempt to oust board President Dawn Mason failed last month, and rumors were flying Monday that the board was pressuring the school’s principal, Linda Whitehead, to step down.

Mason said early Monday afternoon that the school’s staff and board leadership would remain the same, referring detailed questions to spokesman Robert Harrahill.

“The board has not chosen to ask (Whitehead) to leave or for her to step down,” Harrahill said Monday afternoon. “The goal is really that they wanted to retain Dr. Whitehead, full staff, no changes, but transition to an independent school.”

But Whitehead said she was certain the board would fire her at a hastily called meeting Monday night. She was right. After a closed-door session, the board voted to let her go. She’ll continue in her job through December.

“Last week the board said to me: You can resign, or we will do a public meeting and disgrace you,” said Whitehead, a former superintendent in the Marysville School District. She joined the First Place board in November 2014 and became the school’s principal.

“As I speak, sir, I’m cleaning out my desk and I’m going home to enjoy the holidays,” Whitehead said Monday afternoon.

Last fall, First Place had a rough transition to a public school, in part because it was the first school to make such a move. The statewide Charter School Commission put First Place on probation for failing to create a sustainable budget, to offer all required special education and to do enough to help kids learning to speak English.

State officials also had issues with the blurred lines between the school and its supporting nonprofit organization, which provided health care and other services to the families of students.

Whitehead was originally hired to steer the troubled school out of its compliance problems.

In an emotional meeting last spring, the commission said the school’s leaders, including Whitehead, had worked hard to turn the school around. It agreed to let First Place remain a charter this school year but also kept it under close watch.

That oversight, one of the main functions of the commission, will end when the commission shuts down, which it is starting to do as a result of the Supreme Court decision.

The Washington State Charter Schools Association has committed up to $800,000 to keep First Place open through the 2015-16 school year, though it hasn’t paid any grant funds yet, according to the association.

The school also needs to repay the state about $60,000, according to spokesman Nathan Olson. The final state payments to charter schools were issued in November.