The Evergreen State College will hold its June 16 graduation ceremony at Cheney Stadium in Tacoma.
In the wake of a threat to campus last week that caused classes to be canceled for a few days, The Evergreen State College will hold its graduation ceremony at Cheney Stadium in Tacoma, rather than in the college’s traditional location in its outdoor plaza known as Red Square.
The stadium location was chosen because it is secure and close to Olympia, according to Evergreen President George Bridges in an email sent to students and faculty.
“The stadium is a great, central venue, which is secure and offers plenty of seating and parking to accommodate our community,” Bridges wrote. Graduation will be held June 16.
Evergreen was rocked by student protests in May that drew widespread media attention to issues involving race and free speech. Last Thursday, a phoned-in threat to campus forced administrators to evacuate the Olympia campus, and the school remained closed on Friday and for much of the day Monday. It returned to a regular schedule Tuesday.
Most Read Local Stories
- You may still be eligible to opt out of WA Cares payroll tax
- How to stay safe with bear spottings back in the Seattle area
- WA has upped efforts to get naloxone into communities. Is it enough?
- School busing was one of the best things that ever happened to me
- Can a new bike path on Seattle's waterfront work for cyclists and cruise ships? VIEW