The Evergreen State College will hold its June 16 graduation ceremony at Cheney Stadium in Tacoma.
In the wake of a threat to campus last week that caused classes to be canceled for a few days, The Evergreen State College will hold its graduation ceremony at Cheney Stadium in Tacoma, rather than in the college’s traditional location in its outdoor plaza known as Red Square.
The stadium location was chosen because it is secure and close to Olympia, according to Evergreen President George Bridges in an email sent to students and faculty.
“The stadium is a great, central venue, which is secure and offers plenty of seating and parking to accommodate our community,” Bridges wrote. Graduation will be held June 16.
Evergreen was rocked by student protests in May that drew widespread media attention to issues involving race and free speech. Last Thursday, a phoned-in threat to campus forced administrators to evacuate the Olympia campus, and the school remained closed on Friday and for much of the day Monday. It returned to a regular schedule Tuesday.
Most Read Local Stories
- 'We lost one of our finest': Kittitas County deputy shot dead Tuesday night was father of three
- This weather won't last: Here's when Seattle's unseasonable warmth will turn to typical cold and rain
- After infighting at Seattle's tiny-house villages, activist leaders get the boot
- The buses are coming out of the transit tunnel. Here's what it means for transit riders and drivers. VIEW
- Officers shoot, wound man after he fires at them on Capitol Hill, police say