During a cleanup of the small camp Thursday afternoon, someone found the body in a sleeping bag under debris, a police lieutenant said.
Kirkland police say a decomposed body has been found in a sleeping bag in a small homeless encampment in the city’s south end.
Lt. Rob Saloum said during a cleanup of the area, administered by the property’s owner, someone found the body under some debris south of downtown Thursday afternoon, near the Cross Kirkland Corridor. The exact location was unknown.
The King County Medical Examiner’s Office took custody of the body, he said. That office will determine the deceased’s manner and cause of death, as well as formally identify him or her.
“It looks like the body has been there for some time,” Saloum said. “At this point, it’s going to be their (examiner’s office) determination” to explain how the person died.
Most Read Stories
- It looked ugly on TV, but Doug Baldwin’s uncontrolled emotion helped Seahawks beat Giants
- Amazon receives 238 bids for its second headquarters
- Judge confirms $17.5M award for fired Swedish Health neurosurgeon
- Monday's NFL news might only make it harder for Seahawks to pull off a trade to help offensive line
- Searchers find 2 hikers missing along Pacific Crest Trail