In other items: Mobile-home fire fatal to 4 cats; man pleads not guilty to selling stolen goods; and fire destroys half of duplex.

Share story

The Kirkland City Council may vote tonight on whether to sell land at Lake Street and Central Way to a Seattle-based developer.

The developer, Milliken Martin, has proposed to reduce the size and scale of the retail and condominium project it hopes to build on the land. A public hearing is set for the council meeting, which starts at 7:30 p.m. at City Hall, 123 Fifth Ave.

An 11-member committee of residents has recommended that the City Council reject the proposal. The committee said the property should continue to be considered for redevelopment but said the proposed project was too large.

North Bend

Mobile-home fire fatal to 4 cats

A fire raced through a mobile home in North Bend yesterday, killing four cats.

The couple who lived in the trailer were not home at the time, but their cats were trapped inside when the fire broke out just after 2 p.m. in the Nor’West RV park, 45810 S.E. North Bend Way, said Lt. Glenn Huffman of Eastside Fire and Rescue.

Firefighters extinguished the blaze in about 10 minutes, Huffman said. They were investigating the cause of the blaze.


Man pleads not guilty to selling stolen goods

A 45-year-old Shoreline man pleaded not guilty yesterday to selling copper wire, tubing and stainless-steel pipes stolen from three Bellevue stores.

Thomas Michael Needham was charged in King County Superior Court last week with four counts of selling stolen property in the first degree.

Prosecution documents allege that Needham was the leader of a burglary ring that targeted metal-supply stores.

Needham and other men chopped up the stolen supplies and sold them as scrap metal, prosecutors said.

Needham remained in King County Jail yesterday with bail set at $10,000.


Fire destroys half of duplex; no injuries

A fire that started near a kitchen destroyed half of a Redmond duplex yesterday afternoon, fire officials said. No one was injured.

A woman and her son arrived home just after 3 p.m. to see smoke coming from their home in the 8500 block of 139th Avenue Northeast, said Redmond fire spokesman Lt. Thomas Langton.

Fire officials were investigating the cause of the fire yesterday, but Langton said the woman left food cooking on the stove when she left for about 15 minutes to pick up her son.

The blaze spread throughout the 1,000-square-foot home but did not damage the other half of the duplex, Langton said.

The woman and her son, who huddled in blankets outside as they watched firefighters extinguish the blaze, were deciding whether to stay with friends or in a Red Cross shelter, Langton said.

Seattle Times Eastside bureau