The Issaquah family was feeling sick Saturday morning, and emergency crews discovered the cause in the garage.
An Issaquah family of six was sent to the hospital Saturday morning with carbon- monoxide poisoning after a minivan was left running in the garage all night.
Eastside Fire & Rescue responded to a call for medical assistance at 7:25 a.m., finding some family members feeling lethargic, and slow to respond to verbal commands.
The firefighters noticed a chemical smell in the air, took the family outside and put them on oxygen, said Deputy Chief Mike Boyle.
“Getting them out of the house and into fresh air quickly was the first thing that needed to be done,” he said.
Most Read Local Stories
- ‘Deadliest Catch’ co-star Edgar Hansen pleads guilty to sexually assaulting teen girl
- Minus intrigue at the end, Carmen Best picked as new Seattle police chief
- Tiny-home villages are a key part of Seattle’s homeless strategy. So why did one village lack case management for three months?
- Amid worsening financial picture, UW President Ana Mari Cauce returns $95K in deferred compensation
- ReachNow launches ride-hailing app that competes with Uber, Lyft
The six family members ranged in age from 17 months to 65 years old: two kids, the parents and the grandparents, Boyle said.
Investigating the home and garage, the hazardous-material team found a minivan had recently been running in the garage and had run out of gas.
After talking to the father, the team learned one of the children had been sick the night before and the father said he must have forgotten to turn off the car before hurrying into the house.
The family was taken to Swedish Medical Center in Issaquah to be monitored and later to Virginia Mason Medical Center in Seattle to be treated in the hyperbaric chamber. A spokesman said all are expected to be released Saturday.
Three firefighters who were exposed to the carbon monoxide were taken to Overlake Medical Center in Bellevue as a precaution.
Firefighters did not find carbon-monoxide detectors in the home. While Boyle says it would have been required if the home were being rented or sold, the fire department encourages all homes to have a monitor and to change the batteries during time changes every year.