Bellevue Fire Department reported four people were taken to a hospital for treatment in a condominium blaze there. No injuries were reported in a fire in downtown Arlington.

Share story

Two fires ripped through the downtowns of Arlington and Bellevue Monday night, injuring four people in the latter and sending them to the hospital, fire officials said.

In Bellevue, two people suffered cardiac arrest and two suffered smoke inhalation and burns in a condominium fire reported around 7:30 p.m., said Bellevue fire Lt. Ryan Armstrong.

He said the victims were taken to a hospital, but he had no further details about them.

Armstrong said the fire broke out in a three-story, 20-unit building on 100th Avenue Northeast “a couple of blocks” south of Bellevue Square.

Armstrong said remnants of the fire were still being fought after 9 p.m. He said it was unclear how many units were damaged in the condo, but 20 tenants were displaced. He added the American Red Cross was working on finding them a place to stay.

The cause of the fire is under investigation, he said.

Armstrong said firefighters thoroughly searched the building to make sure all victims had been found.

In Arlington, meanwhile, some 50 fire-crew members fought a blaze called in at 7:14 p.m. at a historic downtown building.

The fire was still going on at 10:30 p.m., said Arlington city spokeswoman Kristin Banfield.

She said no injuries were reported in the one-story building that contained apartments in the back.

Banfield said 10 to 15 apartment residents were displaced, and the Red Cross had arrived to provide shelter. She said the fire is under investigation.

Most damaged was a thrift-and-antique shop called Two Bits & More.

The extent of fire damage wasn’t clear, she said. The fire started in the rear of the building, and the structure experienced “a partial collapse.” She said the historic building dates back to the late-1880s or early-1900s and had gone through numerous remodels.

The fire began while Arlington City Council was meeting across the street on North Olympic Avenue.

She said firefighters were at the scene within seconds.

“We were really fortunate,” she said.