Bothell police have completed their investigation of a Bothell mother who left her 12-week-old daughter alone inside a sport-utility vehicle May 13. Someone stole the SUV, which was found abandoned with the unharmed infant inside.
City prosecutors must decide whether to charge the mother, Holly Johnson, with leaving a child younger than 16 in a car with the engine running, a misdemeanor under state law.
Most Read Stories
- Police: Lynnwood 6-year-old drowned in bathtub by visiting relative
- 'The Big Dark': Satellite image shows future rain clouds stretching from China to Puget Sound
- 'The Big Dark' is here as first of three storms rolls into Northwest on stretch of trans-Pacific moisture
- Dough Zone opens in Seattle: better than Din Tai Fung?! | Cheap Eats
- Why Seattleites love to hate the umbrella
If charged and convicted, Johnson could face up to 90 days in jail and a $1,000 fine.
Police are looking for the person who stole Johnson’s SUV. They are tracking down leads but are not releasing a description of a suspect, said Bothell police Capt. Denise Langford.
Anyone with information can call the Bothell police tip line at 425-487-5551. According to police, Johnson left her Jeep Cherokee running in the 19100 block of Bothell Way Northeast while she ran into a liquor store to buy a gift. She said she wanted the car’s air conditioning on to make things comfortable for her daughter, Fiona. But when she came out, her SUV was gone.
spark sickness scare
Seven students from Snoqualmie Middle School came down with similar flulike symptoms yesterday, prompting school officials to have them seek medical attention.
School officials grew concerned when one student fainted, so they brought in the local Fire Department and air-quality inspectors to check for hazardous gases and materials, Superintendent Rich McCullough said.
“There was more worry that the problem was environmental,” McCullough said. But the tests were negative, he said.
Six other students went to the nurse’s office later complaining of headaches and fevers and were sent to nearby Snoqualmie Valley Hospital, he said.
McCullough said having that many students sick in one day isn’t unusual because “there are a lot of sinus and respiratory infections going around now.”
“With all the red vehicles on campus … it looked like there was quite a lot of activity, but it turned out not to be anything.”
keeps fire at bay
A sprinkler system installed at a Redmond apartment complex stopped a mattress fire Wednesday from spreading throughout the complex, fire officials said.
No one was injured, and the only fire damage was to the mattress, carpet and one wall. A man told firefighters he had fallen asleep while smoking a cigarette, said Tom Langton, spokesman for the Redmond Fire Department.
The fire started about 9 p.m. at The Village at Overlake Station in the 2500 block of 152nd Avenue Northeast. Some residents were evacuated, but only the man in the damaged apartment was displaced for the night.
Sprinklers put out a fire at the same complex in February after a candle fell over in a bathroom.
men’s health event
A forum to educate men on staying healthy and living longer will be held tomorrow at the Bellevue Club, 11200 S.E. Sixth St., from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m.
Sponsored by Overlake Hospital Medical Center, the event kicks off national Men’s Health Week and will feature keynote speaker Bill Yeend, morning anchor of KOMO-AM (1000) radio, and Overlake Hospital physicians presenting topics on maintaining a healthy heart, on controlling cholesterol and blood-sugar levels, on arthritis, male sexuality and prostate health.
The cost is $15. Call 425-688-5259 to register or visit www.overlakehospital.org, and select “Health & Wellness,” “Classes” and “Healthy Lifestyles.” Refreshments will be provided.