Prosecutors on Thursday charged an Eastside teen with felony harassment for allegedly threatening to “shoot up” the International School of Bellevue.
A 17-year-old student was charged with felony harassment on Thursday for allegedly threatening to “shoot up” a Bellevue high school.
According to charging documents filed in King County Juvenile Court, the teen told police after his arrest last Friday that he had a 4.0 grade-point-average and was taking Advanced Placement classes but had few friends at the International School in Bellevue. He also told police he felt bullied and disliked.
The teen said he had been thinking about suicide for five years, but the academic pressure and college-application process of his senior year intensified his feelings of anger and made him think about carrying out a school shooting, according to the charges.
According to prosecutors, the teen became angry at school Feb. 9 and during his last period of the day he made “statements to students in his classroom that he was trying to purchase body armor and a gun.” The boy also “moved his fingers into the position of a handgun and waived his hand in the air as he said there was going to be a shooting at the school,” according to the charges.
Most Read Stories
- Snohomish County man has the United States’ first known case of Wuhan coronavirus
- 5 of the Seattle area's most changed neighborhoods: We crunched the data on population, income, jobs
- 'We were before our time': Remembering the fight to change King County's namesake from a slave owner to a civil-rights leader VIEW
- Did the Seahawks make a mistake by letting Richard Sherman go?
- How white families with young children can work to undo racism
Prosecutors said the teen also told officers that his parents do not own firearms or ammunition, but that he one time talked his mother into taking him to a shooting range where he fired a Glock handgun.
The teen said he had planned to kill himself there in front of his mother, but changed his mind, the charging documents say.
According to prosecutors, police received multiple 911 calls last week about the boy’s alleged threats.
One of the callers, a sophomore at the school, told police that he’d overheard the 17-year-old telling a student that there would be a shooting at the school and the time would be posted on Facebook before the shooting.
When police talked with the student, he confirmed that the 17-year-old had talked about a school shooting and invited him to join in, but the younger boy declined, prosecutors said.
Police also learned that the 17-year-old had been selling personal possessions to get the cash to buy the gun and body armor he wanted, prosecutors say.
According to court documents, the informant also said the 17-year-old contacted him on Feb. 12 and told him to “stay out of the line of fire” and that the shooting would happen at 12:30 p.m. last Friday.
The boy was arrested Friday as he left home.
Police found $1,000 cash in the boy’s bedroom believed to have been collected to buy weapons, according to the charges.
Dan Donohoe, a spokesman for the King County Prosecuting Attorney’s Office, said the teen has no previous criminal history and that prosecutors will not seek to charge him as an adult. The Seattle Times generally does not name defendants charged in juvenile court.
The boy is scheduled to be arraigned on Monday.