Sketched Nov. 7, 2017
More Seattle SketcherSeattle Times news artist Gabriel Campanario has been capturing Seattle's places and people in hand-drawn sketches for more than a decade. To see past columns, visit the Seattle Sketcher home page. A selection of prints is available for sale through The Seattle Times store, or you may fill out an illustration request to order a specific image.
This morning I watched a steady flow of drivers bringing their ballots to this Snohomish County drop-box location near the Mountlake Terrace Library.
Nearly 20 years of living in the U.S. means the drive-thru culture doesn’t surprise me anymore. As someone who prefers walking and public transportation to get around the city, I still resent getting behind the wheel, but every now and then I pull my car through drive-thru restaurants, banks and pharmacies for the sake of saving time.
Election 2017Statewide and local results
- Jenny Durkan defeats Cary Moon to become Seattle’s first woman mayor since the 1920s
- Democrat Manka Dhingra defeats Republican Jinyoung Lee Englund in state Senate race
- Mitzi Johanknecht unseats John Urquhart as King County sheriff
- González and Mosqueda win Seattle City Council seats
- King County Proposition 1 levy passes easily
- More coverage of the Seattle mayoral race
- More Election 2017 coverage
This election year, my second as a U.S. citizen, I’m realizing drive-thrus can serve purposes far more important than facilitating a quick meal on the go. These drive-thru ballot boxes help make voting convenient, and that’s a good thing.
I dropped my ballot in one of them yesterday. Did you?