A boat fire at the Des Moines Marina injured two people and destroyed at least six vessels Sunday night, according to South King Fire & Rescue officials.
A 28-year-old woman and a man in his 30s suffered second- and third-degree burns to their upper bodies after a flash fire erupted at about 10:15 p.m. on the boat where they were working, Assistant Chief Gordie Olson said.
The woman was in serious condition Monday. No information was available on the man’s condition.
The fire on the boat spread quickly to other vessels, Olson said. At least five additional boats were destroyed as well, and six others had minor damage. The covered dock had structural damage. Firefighters contained the fire within 30 minutes but remained at the scene until 4 a.m.
Most Read Local Stories
- Primary 2020: Election results as they stand after Tuesday night in Washington state VIEW
- It's unsafe for most Washington students to return to school buildings this fall, state says
- Coronavirus daily news updates, August 5: What to know today about COVID-19 in the Seattle area, Washington state and the world
- Not much of a blue wave in Washington's primary election. But results show the state is getting more polarized.
- Washington state primary election: How the day unfolded, plus results of key races VIEW
The cause is under investigation. Monday afternoon, investigators were retrieving the sunken vessel where the fire originated.