The Associated Press
LONGVIEW – A former part-time deputy in the Cowlitz County coroner’s office is accused of using a dead man’s debit card to steal nearly $12,000 from his estate.
The Longview Daily News (http://is.gd/arxdj0 ) reports 44-year-old Jeffrey Wayne Hart of Castle Rock is scheduled to be arraigned next week on charges of first-degree theft, identity theft, second-degree possession of stolen property and official misconduct.
County prosecutors plan to seek a sentence above the standard range for each charge because Hart is accused of using his position to trust to commit a crime.
Most Read Local Stories
- These 3 Seattle scientists study the coronavirus. Now they're getting millions to chase their 'wildest scientific ideas'
- Wondering why society went off-kilter during the pandemic? It was all predicted in this book
- Lummi Nation woman disappears during Las Vegas trip with fiancé and friends
- There's an opening for the GOP in Washington state — and they're squandering it on conspiracies
- Coronavirus daily news updates, September 22: What to know today about COVID-19 in the Seattle area, Washington state and the world
Coroner Tim Davidson says Hart was fired upon his arrest on Aug. 16.