A 27-year-old man was arrested in Seattle’s South Park neighborhood on Saturday in connection with the Feb. 7 fatal shooting of a 16-year-old boy, police said in a statement.
The suspect was arrested by homicide detectives and booked into King County Jail, police said. He has not yet been identified by authorities.
Dallas Esparza was shot in the head in South Park on Feb. 7 and died days later at Harborview Medical Center, police said.
An older cousin of Esparza’s told The Seattle Times earlier this year that whoever killed Esparza must have thought he was a gang member, even though he wasn’t.
Most Read Local Stories
- Highway 520 bridge to reopen after closure in both directions due to police activity
- State Patrol crackdown on HOV violators snares more than 1,700 drivers in Puget Sound area
- GOP leaders call for state Rep. Matt Manweller to resign after latest sexual misconduct allegation
- South King County gang war led to fatal shooting of 'poor, innocent lady' in Burien office
- San Francisco is cracking down on tent camps. Will Seattle do the same? VIEW
Charlene Kirkendall, Esparza’s mother, told the Times that Esparza was a happy, generous child who tried to protect her.
Seattle’s assistant police chief for investigations, Marc Garth Green, declined to comment earlier this year about whether the shooting was considered gang-related.