ORTING, Pierce County — Authorities say a suspect is in custody following a possible dispute along a river over stolen property that led to a woman being shot in the foot, a burned treehouse and a dead, burned man.
The Pierce County Sheriff’s Department says a man was taken into custody and jailed Monday for investigation of murder, assault and arson for the incident along the Carbon River in Orting.
Sheriff’s spokesman Ed Troyer says authorities were first alerted to the crimes at about 3:30 a.m. Monday by a 911 call. Troyer says a woman told the deputies she and another male victim had been shot by a male acquaintance armed with a rifle during a confrontation in a treehouse.
The male victim has not been identified.
Most Read Local Stories
- What's the region's second-fastest growing neighborhood? Hint: It's not in Seattle. | FYI Guy
- It's almost summer — so get ready for cool-down in Seattle area, forecasters say
- Woman, 18, found on a Kent trail was victim of homicide
- Breaking up immigrant families is ‘not who we are’? Oh yes it is | Danny Westneat
- Another decades-old Tacoma murder solved? Suspected killer of 12-year-old Michella Welch arrested