The 6-year-old boy found the gun in a bedroom and started playing with it when it fired, authorities say.
WEISER, Idaho — Law-enforcement officials in southern Idaho say they believe a child accidentally shot and killed himself while playing with a gun over the weekend.
Washington County Sheriff Matt Thomas says the 6-year-old boy died Saturday afternoon in Weiser.
According to Thomas, the boy went inside the home while his mother and her boyfriend were working outside. The child found the gun in the bedroom and started playing with it when it fired. A bullet hit the boy in the head.
No charges have been filed in connection with the death although an investigation has been launched. Officials have not released the boy’s name or what kind of gun was involved.
Most Read Local Stories
- Tire dust killing coho salmon returning to Puget Sound, new research shows WATCH
- Coronavirus daily news updates, Dec. 3: What to know today about COVID-19 in the Seattle area, Washington state and the world VIEW
- Finding a new path in a pandemic: How one Seattle architect went from mansions to tiny homes
- Washington coronavirus hospital admissions surge to highest level since pandemic began
- Lawsuit: DOC fired guard trainee for wearing 'Black Lives Matter' shirt after others wore 'Police Lives Matter' shirts