The 6-year-old boy found the gun in a bedroom and started playing with it when it fired, authorities say.
WEISER, Idaho — Law-enforcement officials in southern Idaho say they believe a child accidentally shot and killed himself while playing with a gun over the weekend.
Washington County Sheriff Matt Thomas says the 6-year-old boy died Saturday afternoon in Weiser.
According to Thomas, the boy went inside the home while his mother and her boyfriend were working outside. The child found the gun in the bedroom and started playing with it when it fired. A bullet hit the boy in the head.
No charges have been filed in connection with the death although an investigation has been launched. Officials have not released the boy’s name or what kind of gun was involved.
Most Read Local Stories
- 'Wretched human being' for president: How the Spokane paper's bizarre plug for Trump revealed a hard truth
- Coronavirus daily news updates, October 28: What to know today about COVID-19 in the Seattle area, Washington state and the world VIEW
- Dori Monson back on the air, with apology and 'praying for healing'
- Did your ballot reach its destination? Here's how to track it in Washington state
- South King County has been disproportionately affected by the coronavirus VIEW