The Island County coroner identified the victim as 26-year-old Katherine Cunningham.
Update, 10:30 a.m. Thursday: Police find car of man sought in Camano Island decapitation
CAMANO ISLAND — Island County authorities say the body of a woman found near a gun- and ammo-filled bunker last weekend had been decapitated, and a man sought in the case is possibly headed for California.
The Island County coroner identified the victim as 26-year-old Katherine Cunningham. Detectives found her body Saturday on an undeveloped parcel of land on Camano Island, north of Seattle.
Nearby, investigators discovered a bunker dug into a hillside containing supplies, guns and ammo.
Most Read Local Stories
- 4,500 Expedia employees are coming to Interbay in Seattle. How will the company avoid a traffic mess? VIEW
- After 7-year battle, Lake City neighbors rejoice as Lake Washington dead end becomes a public beach
- The inside story of MCAS: How Boeing's 737 MAX system gained power and lost safeguards | Times Watchdog VIEW
- Man in serious condition after shooting on Capitol Hill, officials say
- Crash kills woman, critically injures 2 children near Sammamish
Island County Sheriff Mark Brown said Wednesday that police are looking for 34-year-old Jacob Gonzales, whom he called a person of interest.
Gonzales is believed to be armed and driving a green 1990 Mitsubishi Montero, with Washington license plate AYE 2639.
A woman who knows Gonzales and Cunningham described them as boyfriend and girlfriend originally from California. The woman, who spoke on the condition of anonymity, said the couple lived with her family in an apartment in Stanwood for a brief time about 2 ½ years ago.
The couple later moved to a trailer on Camano Island, she said.
The woman said Cunningham and Gonzales had met in the military.
“It’s just crazy,” the woman said Wednesday. “They were in my house, around my kids and I never thought he was capable of something like this.”
Seattle Times staff reporter Jessica Lee and news researcher Miyoko Wolf contributed to this story.