Prosecutors have charged a Seattle man with first-degree murder and first-degree assault, accusing him of fatally shooting a friend who refused to continue drinking with him. A woman was also injured in the shooting at a small gathering in Kent on Sunday.

Share story

Kent police say a 27-year-old Seattle man fatally shot his friend in the head early Sunday because he was mad the friend wanted to go to bed instead of continue drinking with him.

King County prosecutors charged Quang Ngoc Dinh on Friday with first-degree murder in connection with the death of 39-year-old Huy Huynh at a small gathering at Huynh’s girlfriend’s house. Dinh, who is being held in the King County Jail in lieu of $1 million bail, was also charged with first-degree assault for allegedly shooting a 31-year-old woman who was standing next to Huynh.

Dinh, a Vietnamese national who has lived in the Seattle area for four years, does not have a criminal history but prosecutors sought the high bail amount because they consider him a flight risk, according to the charges.

Charging papers say Huynh and Dinh were among a group of about eight people who got together for a night of eating and drinking at a house in the 500 block of Fourth Avenue South in Kent on Sunday.

Sometime before 2 a.m., Dinh and Huynh argued because Huynh wanted to go to bed and Dinh wanted Huynh to stay up drinking with him, charging papers say. Huynh and his girlfriend left the main group and went to the girlfriend’s bedroom, then Dinh kicked down the door and threatened Huynh with a kitchen knife to get him to continue drinking, the papers say.

The others present helped break up the argument and got Dinh outside to his car so he could leave with his wife and their two young children, according to the charges. Dinh retrieved a .40-caliber handgun from the car, then crept around to the backyard and shot Huynh in the forehead as he stood just inside the back door of his girlfriend’s residence, the charges say.

A woman standing next to Huynh was also hit, say the charges. She and her husband ran through the front door of the house and sought help at a nearby fire station.

Dinh, who had blood on his clothes, a gun tucked into his waistband, and two loaded magazines in his pocket, waited for police to arrive and was arrested in the front yard of the house, the charges say.