A 39-year-old Tukwila man was fatally shot and a 31-year-old Kent woman was wounded during a shooting early Sunday at a house party in Kent. Police have arrested a 27-year-old Seattle man.

Share story

A 27-year-old Seattle man is being held in lieu of $1 million bail, accused of fatally shooting a man in the head and wounding a woman early Sunday at a house party in Kent.

Quang Ngoc Dinh was arrested at the scene and is being held in the King County Jail on investigation of homicide, according to the statement of probable cause outlining the police case against him.

Just before 2 a.m., Kent police officers responded to a house in the 500 block of Fourth Avenue South after residents and witnesses called 911 to report hearing gunshots, the sounds of a woman crying and people arguing in the street, the statement says.

As the first officers were arriving, they were notified that a woman with a gunshot wound to her head had shown up seeking help at Kent Fire Station 71, less than a block away from the house where the party was held. The 31-year-old woman suffered a non-life-threatening wound and was taken to Valley Medical Center, the statement says.

Officers also contacted Dinh, who was outside the house and had blood on his shirt and pants, according to the statement. He was handcuffed and during a pat-down search officers found a .40-caliber handgun in his waistband and two ammunition magazines in his pocket, it says.

Inside the house, police found a 39-year-old Tukwila man dead from a gunshot wound to his forehead, according to Cmdr. Jarod Kasner, a Kent police spokesman.

The King County Medical Examiner’s Office had not released the man’s name as of Tuesday afternoon.

According to the statement:

A man who lives two doors down from the house later told officers he heard gunshots and stepped outside his residence, where he encountered a man and asked him if he was OK. The man told the neighbor, “I shot them both,” says the statement, noting the neighbor later identified Dinh.

Kent police say Dinh later told detectives he had argued with the 39-year-old man inside the house, then went to his car to retrieve a semi-automatic handgun. According to police, Dinh returned to the house, firing three times at the 39-year-old through the open back door, striking the man and a woman standing next to him.