A second robbery suspect is still on the loose.
A home-invasion robbery in South Everett turned into a fatal shooting and a police manhunt Saturday morning, authorities said.
It began around 4:45 a.m. when two masked men armed with pepper spray broke down the front door of a house in the 5700 block of Gothic Way, said Snohomish County Sheriff’s Lt. Monte Beaton.
The men demanded money from people in the living room, Beaton said. A roommate heard the disturbance from another room, saw what he thought was an armed robbery and starting shooting, Beaton said. One of the intruders was hit and died at the scene, and the other ran away, he said.
Police dogs searched the area and the sheriff’s office alerted local hospitals that they were on the lookout for someone who may have been shot. So far, the second man has not been found, Beaton said.
Most Read Local Stories
- 'Offended' Seattle U professor admits taking copies of student newspaper after it published photo of performer in drag
- Washington lawmakers violated state constitution when rewriting police deadly force laws, judge says
- Washingtonians are less religious than ever, Gallup poll finds | FYI Guy
- 8 months after farmed-fish escape, lively Atlantic salmon caught 40 miles upriver
- The professor, the cop and the student: A tale of sex and deception in San Juan County
The man who died has not yet been identified and there is no description of the suspect at large. The roommate who fired the shots has not been arrested.
Other details, including whether the people inside the house were targeted, were not immediately clear.
“I’m sure they’re looking into every bit of it, to see if and what these folks were after,” Beaton said.