Student at Lewis and Clark College claims men yelled racial slurs before he was attacked
PORTLAND, Ore. — Portland police are investigating a possible hate crime at Lewis and Clark College.
KATU-TV reports a 26-year-old black student was attacked on campus Friday night by three white men. The victim told detectives the men shouted racial slurs at him before the attack.
Police say he managed to fight them off before returning home, but didn’t call police until almost 1 a.m. Saturday morning.
The attack comes a few days after a campus protest sparked by a series of racially-charged messages posted to the anonymous social media platform Yik Yak. Those comments included the hashtag “bring back slavery.”
Most Read Local Stories
- Man arrested, accused of stealing Seattle police officer's vehicle after she was fatally struck while helping at crash scene
- Washington is the country's worst offender when it comes to using too much jargon
- Washington is tantalizingly close to a 'near return to normal,' but COVID risks are staying higher in some areas
- Here's who won the second $250,000 prize in Washington's COVID-19 vaccine lottery
- Bellevue man who drowned in Lake Washington identified
College Vice President David Ellis says they are working closely with police to figure out if the social media posts and the attack are connected. He says racism has no place in this campus.