“The pressure finally got to him,” Seattle police said after Alrick Hollingsworth surrendered. He is suspected of shooting five people at a downtown bus stop in November.

Share story

For five months, Alrick Hollingsworth was a wanted man with Seattle police detectives hot on his trail in the aftermath of a November shooting that left five people wounded at a busy downtown bus stop.

“He always seemed like he was a step or two ahead of us and it wouldn’t surprise me” if he had help, said Capt. Steve Paulsen, commander of the Seattle Police Department’s violent-crimes section, which includes the homicide, gang and robbery units. “We’d think he was at a particular place and the next moment he was gone.”

There were sightings of Hollingsworth, now 19, in Federal Way and Auburn, Paulsen said. At one point, he said Hollingsworth was rumored to be hiding out at a Tacoma homeless encampment, though that was never confirmed.

“The pressure finally got to him,” and Hollingsworth turned himself in to police a little after 7 p.m. Tuesday and was booked into jail on a $1 million warrant, according to Paulsen and jail records.

Most Read Stories

Unlimited Digital Access. $1 for 4 weeks.

An employee of a local social-service agency who has known Hollingsworth for years acted as a liaison with police, facilitating Hollingsworth’s peaceful surrender, Paulsen said.

“The guy was great. We’re drafting a letter to thank him for his help,” he said.

Paulsen also praised detectives for their pursuit of Hollingsworth, who was identified as the suspected shooter on Nov. 10, a day after the shootings, based on information from a security guard as well as video-surveillance footage from a McDonald’s restaurant, Westlake Center and the downtown bus tunnel.

“They did a really good job. They pounded the street on this one,” Paulsen said of the detectives who worked the case. “I think his (Hollingworth’s) family members got tired of talking to us.”

The shootings occurred at 6:45 p.m. on Nov. 9, outside a 7-Eleven on Third Avenue between Pike and Pine streets. At the time, downtown streets were packed with post-rush hour commuters and protesters involved in an anti-Trump rally, which had started at Westlake Park earlier in the evening.

A couple of officers, seated in their patrol car with the windows down at Fourth Avenue and Pine Street, heard what they believed to be gunshots and broadcast the information over the police radio, charging papers say. Several officers and King County sheriff’s deputies quickly responded, while simultaneously, multiple witnesses called 911 to report people shot at Third and Pine, the papers say.

Charging papers say Hollingsworth was involved in a dispute with another man and then started to walk away on Third Avenue when he turned and fired without warning into a crowd of people, many of them waiting at a busy bus stop.

The five victims ranged in age from their 20s to 50s. Two of the five were men who had previous involvement with Hollingsworth, including the man he’d argued with, according to police and charging documents. They were the most seriously injured.

One man was shot in the neck and shoulder. The second suffered a broken neck after being shot in the back and neck, the charges say.

A male bystander was shot in the left buttock and hip; one woman was shot in the right leg; and a second woman was shot in the left leg, say the charges.

Hollingsworth was charged with five counts of first-degree assault, each with a firearms enhancement, on Nov. 18. The filing of formal charges generated the $1 million arrest warrant.

“After discharging the rounds, the defendant sprinted away on foot, darting into a bus tunnel and stuffing his jacket into a garbage can. He then fled the scene,” Senior Deputy Prosecutor William Doyle wrote in charging papers.

A week after the shooting — and a half-hour after detectives secured the arrest warrant — a 911 call came in identifying Hollingsworth as the suspect responsible for a shooting on Capitol Hill, police said at the time. No one was hit but a car parked near East Olive Way and 12th Avenue East got shot up.

By the time officers arrived, the shooter was gone.

That shooting was outside the residence of Hollingsworth’s ex-girlfriend, Paul­sen said.

During his time on the run, Paulsen said Hollingsworth is believed to have moved around King and Pierce counties — and the lengthy game of cat-and-mouse was starting to get frustrating for police.

Detectives “are very pleased they don’t have to go driving all over the county, looking for him anymore,” Paulsen said. “It’s nice to get a resolution to it.”