The 39-year-old officer in Seaside, Oregon, was shot as he tried to arrest a man for felony assault. The alleged shooter was killed by another officer.

Share story

SEASIDE, Ore. — A police officer in Seaside, Oregon, was fatally shot as he was serving an arrest warrant Friday night, authorities said.

The alleged shooter, a 55-year-old man, was fatally shot by another officer.

Clatsop County District Attorney Josh Marquis on Saturday identified the officer as Seaside police Sgt. Jason Goodding, 39, who joined the police department in 2003.

Authorities say the shooting happened Friday night in downtown Seaside as Gooding and another officer were attempting to arrest a man wanted on a warrant for felony assault.

Most Read Stories

Unlimited Digital Access. $1 for 4 weeks

When the man, identified as Phillip Ferry, wouldn’t show his hands, the other officer used a Taser on him, Marquis said. While the Taser seemed to incapacitate Ferry, “it didn’t do much more,” he said.

The suspect went down on the ground. Goodding tried to subdue him and Ferry pulled out gun and fired once. The other officer returned fire, shooting the suspect, who later died at a local hospital. The second officer was not hurt.

Marquis said it appears the fatal shooting of Ferry is justified.

Clatsop County Sheriff Tom Bergin said Goodding was familiar with Ferry, and Ferry had a “vast record” and had been in-and-out of jail.

Bergin, who was also Goodding’s neighbor, said he was a good man.

“He was an extraordinarily good police officer,” Bergin said.

Seaside Police Chief Dave Ham echoed that sentiment.

“He demonstrated the best in what we do as law-enforcement officers,” Ham said.

Goodding is survived by his wife and two young daughters. He graduated from Sherwood High School and Portland State University. During his time with the department, he ran the drug team, worked as a detective sergeant and as a patrol sergeant.

Seaside, a resort town on the northern Oregon coast, is about 80 miles west of Portland.