The man says he was kidnapped, robbed and assaulted by the police informant, Jessahel Ortega-Baldis, in 2012.
A federal judge has dismissed a lawsuit alleging that the Seattle police had a duty to monitor a confidential informant who turned violent.
In the complaint, Francisco Islas Casillas said he was kidnapped, robbed and assaulted by police informant Jessahel Ortega-Baldis in 2012. Ortega-Baldis showed up at a car-repair shop Casillas owned with some other men, handcuffed and blindfolded him at gunpoint, and drove him around for a while before throwing him out of their van. Ortega-Baldis subsequently demanded $20,000 from Casillas for not killing him.
Ortega-Baldis’ handlers at the Police Department said that from the time he became an informant in 2006 until he was arrested for the kidnapping, he had shown no violent tendencies. He had only traffic incidents on his record.
In his ruling Wednesday, U.S. District Judge Thomas Zilly ruled there was simply no indication that the informant posed a foreseeable risk to anyone.
Most Read Local Stories
- Washington becomes first state to legalize human composting
- Waterfront transforming before our eyes as viaduct comes down
- Low snowpack, hot spring lead to drought declaration for nearly half of Washington state
- NTSB 'amazed at the amount of failure' by agencies in fatal 2017 Amtrak derailment south of Tacoma
- In the aftermath of a drug bust, Seattle homeless camp is cleaned up again VIEW
In 2012, Ortega-Baldis was charged with first-degree robbery, first-degree kidnapping and first-degree extortion in connection with an incident involving Casillas, according to criminal charges. That same year he pleaded guilty to the robbery charge the other two charges were dismissed, King County Superior Court records indicate.
Ortega-Baldis was released from prison to federal immigration officials on June 30, 2014. The lawsuit alleged he is a Mexican national who had been in the country illegally.