Remains are unidentified and will be examined by the Pierce County Medical Examiner.
Detectives were on the scene of a Pierce County construction site Friday after workers there found what appear to be human remains, according to the Pierce County Sheriff’s Department.
The remains were found in the 14000 block of 94th Avenue East in the South Hill area, according to the department. The area is about 4 miles south of Puyallup.
Most Read Local Stories
- Dallas-bound flight returns to Seattle after human heart was left onboard
- We now know where Seattle's airborne heart was headed after Southwest flight was turned around
- Burned bear Cinder shot and killed by hunter in Washington
- Rare brain-eating amoebas killed Seattle woman who rinsed her sinuses with tap water. Doctor warns this could happen again
- Gov. Inslee proposes $54.4B state budget with new tax on capital gains
A construction worker who was creating a path to a construction site found the remains just before dark Thursday evening, said Pierce County Sheriff’s Department spokesman Ed Troyer. Sheriff’s Department personnel “secured the scene and stayed out there overnight” until detectives could begin working Friday morning, Troyer said.
The department has confirmed that human remains were on the site, but a medical examiner has not yet identified the remains, Troyer said. He said the remains appear fairly recent, maybe from within the last year. “These are not skeletal remains from years and years ago,” he said.
Detectives are now processing the scene, the department said.