A woman died Thursday after she was hit by a bus near the Northgate Mall.
A woman died Thursday after she was struck by a Metro bus at the Northgate Transit Center.
Seattle police say the woman, who was in her 90s, died at the scene. A department drug recognition expert said the driver had no obvious signs of impairment, police said.
Seattle Fire Department spokeswoman Lt. Sue Stangl said fire crews were called to First Avenue Northeast and Northeast 100th Street just after 3 p.m. Firefighters pulled the woman from underneath the vehicle.
Jeff Switzer, spokesman for King County Metro Transit, said the Route 16 bus had just left the Northgate Transit Center and traveling east on Northeast 100th Street when the accident happened.
Most Read Local Stories
- No surprise for commuters: Washington ranks dead last among lower 48 states for driving
- End Daylight Saving Time in Washington? Why a state lawmaker thinks the effort has a chance this year
- Seattle-area residents least likely in nation to give their neighborhoods top marks | FYI Guy
- Decade of heavy storms has helped Northwest glaciers, but don't expect that to last, studies show
- Could the humble TSA agent save democracy? Increasingly they're being asked to try | Danny Westneat
The Northgate Transit Center was closed during the investigation.