A Level 2 sex offender accused of trying to rape a woman in Pacific was apparently thwarted by one of the woman’s dogs, who placed its body between the woman and her attacker and nipped at him until he left.

Share story

A woman’s dog intervened during a sexual attack early this month, nipping at the Level 2 sex offender until he finally got off the woman and left her apartment in Pacific, King County.

Ralph Young was arrested Thursday and a judge Friday found probable cause to hold him on investigation of attempted second-degree rape, said King County prosecutor’s spokesman Dan Donohoe. Young remains jailed in lieu of $300,000 bail.

According to the probable-cause statement outlining the police case against Young, the 52-year-old man went to his neighbor’s apartment March 3 under the guise of returning dishes he had previously borrowed.

He tried to kiss the woman, who told him she wasn’t interested and didn’t want to be a source of tension between Young and his wife, the statement says. Young continued to make sexual advances, pushed the women into her bedroom and forced her down on the bed, the statement says.

The woman told Young to stop and fought him as he removed her clothes and climbed on top of her, according to the statement. Her dogs were in the bedroom and “were becoming very agitated by the commotion and started barking at Young,” the statement says.

As Young was attempting to rape her, one of the woman’s dogs jumped on the bed, “climbed on top of her and in between her and Young and started ‘nipping’ at Young,” according to the statement. Young then got off the woman, pulled up his pants and left, it says. The statement doesn’t specify the dog’s breed.

Police say Young denied having sexual contact with the woman.

Young was convicted of kidnapping, robbery and indecent liberties in 1995 and received an exceptional sentence of 20 years in prison, court records say.

In that case, he carjacked a pregnant woman and her young son, sexually touched the woman and forced her to withdraw $100 from a bank machine, which he later used to buy drugs, court records show.

The woman eventually escaped by throwing herself out of her moving vehicle with her 2-year-old in her arms, the records say.

She fell to the ground near where a Seattle police officer had parked his patrol car in a lot at a city playfield, according to court records. Young drove over the woman’s legs, breaking one of her ankles, before the officer could intervene.

While it’s unclear when Young was released from prison, court records show his community supervision ended in October.