Detectives in Snohomish County have completed their investigation into the October shooting at Marysville-Pilchuck High School.

Share story

Snohomish County detectives have completed their investigation into the October shooting at Marysville-Pilchuck High School that left five students dead, including the shooter.

Fifteen-year-old Jaylen Fryberg invited five friends to sit with him at lunch in the school cafeteria on Oct. 24, then fatally shot four and wounded one before turning the gun on himself.

Because he died, investigators from the Snohomish County Multi-Agency Response Team (SMART) are not referring any criminal charges to the Prosecuting Attorney’s Office, said sheriff’s spokeswoman Shari Ireton in a news release on Wednesday.

Ireton said the first installment of records from the shooting investigation is not expected to be released until Aug. 31.

Ireton did not immediately explain the delay between the completion of the investigation and the release of the records.

The Seattle Times has filed a public-disclosure request for the documents.

Bronlea Mishler, a spokeswoman for the city of Marysville, said police officials are expected to spend the next couple of weeks reading the results of the 2,233-page report.

“No community should have to suffer this kind of loss,” said Marysville Police Chief Rick Smith. “Our focus is, and always has been, on preventing a tragedy like this from happening again. Our community and the families directly affected by this event are still healing, and it’s important for us to respect that fact as we move forward.”

The shooter’s father, Raymond Fryberg, has been charged in U.S. District Court with illegally possessing the gun that his son used in the shooting.

The elder Fryberg was the subject of a restraining order, which meant he was not allowed to have firearms. Federal prosecutors say he failed to disclose his criminal history and information about the restraining order when he obtained the gun. He’s scheduled to be arraigned on five new charges on Thursday.