A husband apparently fatally shot his wife, then himself late Friday night near Lacey, as the couple’s children fled to safety, according to the Thurston County Sheriff’s Office.
Authorities were alerted to the incident around 10 p.m., when the couple’s 24-year-old son called 911 to report that his parents were fighting. Emergency dispatchers could hear yelling and possibly gunshots during the call, according to the sheriff’s office.
As deputies headed to the house on Bella Court Southeast, the man told dispatchers he’d left the house with his 12-year-old sibling as shots were being fired.
Deputies found a 45-year-old woman near the front door, with multiple gunshot wounds inside the home, and got her outside. She was pronounced dead on the way to a hospital.
Most Read Local Stories
- 114,000 more people: Seattle now decade's fastest-growing big city in all of U.S. | FYI Guy
- Three finalists named for Seattle police chief job
- Martin Pang, who set fire that led to deaths of 4 Seattle firefighters, to leave prison as early as September
- Watch: Bald eagle battles fox for rabbit in skies above San Juan Island WATCH
- Sinkhole closes lane on Highway 2; WSDOT reveals best, worst travel times for Memorial Day weekend
Deputies later found the woman’s 45-year-old husband inside the home. He died of an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound.
The names of the man and woman will be released pending an investigation by the Thurston County Medical Coroner’s Office.