A husband apparently fatally shot his wife, then himself late Friday night near Lacey, as the couple’s children fled to safety, according to the Thurston County Sheriff’s Office.
Authorities were alerted to the incident around 10 p.m., when the couple’s 24-year-old son called 911 to report that his parents were fighting. Emergency dispatchers could hear yelling and possibly gunshots during the call, according to the sheriff’s office.
As deputies headed to the house on Bella Court Southeast, the man told dispatchers he’d left the house with his 12-year-old sibling as shots were being fired.
Deputies found a 45-year-old woman near the front door, with multiple gunshot wounds inside the home, and got her outside. She was pronounced dead on the way to a hospital.
Most Read Local Stories
- Controversy heats up over removal of Lower Snake River dams as orcas suffer losses VIEW
- I-1639 the most ambitious effort at gun regulation in Washington state’s history
- San Francisco is cracking down on tent camps. Will Seattle do the same? VIEW
- Highway 520 bridge to reopen after closure in both directions due to police activity
- GOP leaders call for state Rep. Matt Manweller to resign after latest sexual misconduct allegation
Deputies later found the woman’s 45-year-old husband inside the home. He died of an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound.
The names of the man and woman will be released pending an investigation by the Thurston County Medical Coroner’s Office.