Authorities are searching for a man after an overnight car chase through South Seattle, police said.
A carjacking suspect is at large after escaping during a police chase through South Seattle, police said.
The police pursuit started in Highland Park about 9:30 p.m. Tuesday, when officers saw the man leaving his residence in a car, said Detective Patrick Michaud, a Seattle Police Department spokesman.
Police tried unsuccessfully to pull the car over, and continued to chase it as the man fled north on Interstate 5 toward Beacon Hill, police said.
After exiting the highway, the car crashed near the intersection of 15th Avenue South and South Lucile Street. Officers arriving at the scene initially thought the driver was inside the car, but later found that he’d fled the crash, police said.
Most Read Local Stories
- Central District shooting injures 4, including 2-year-old in critical condition, Seattle police say
- Cops for $1,000 a day: How Seattle spends millions hiring off-duty police officers but does little to monitor their moonlighting
- You return $10,000 found on Issaquah road: Your reward?
- 'It’s a long way to get here': The journey to vaccinate Lake Chelan's most remote communities against COVID-19
- Police looking for driver who hit, killed bicyclist near Seward Park
A search is under way, police said.