Authorities are searching for a man after an overnight car chase through South Seattle, police said.
A carjacking suspect is at large after escaping during a police chase through South Seattle, police said.
The police pursuit started in Highland Park about 9:30 p.m. Tuesday, when officers saw the man leaving his residence in a car, said Detective Patrick Michaud, a Seattle Police Department spokesman.
Police tried unsuccessfully to pull the car over, and continued to chase it as the man fled north on Interstate 5 toward Beacon Hill, police said.
After exiting the highway, the car crashed near the intersection of 15th Avenue South and South Lucile Street. Officers arriving at the scene initially thought the driver was inside the car, but later found that he’d fled the crash, police said.
Most Read Local Stories
- COVID-19 death toll is more than double the official count, UW analysis suggests
- Coronavirus daily news updates, May 6: What to know today about COVID-19 in the Seattle area, Washington state and the world
- Seattle temps hit the 70s Wednesday. Next week, it will actually feel like it
- Public records requests mishandled after Seattle mayor's texts went missing, whistleblower investigation finds
- Five months and $100,000 later, Seattle City Council asks: Where are the street sinks?
A search is under way, police said.