Witnesses held the driver, who tried to flee, until authorities arrived, police said.
A 7-year-old trick-or-treater was hit and critically injured by an SUV Monday night in Tacoma.
The boy was struck about 7:20 p.m. at North Ninth Street and I Street, authorities told the Tacoma News Tribune. The driver reportedly tried to flee but was held by witnesses until police arrived.
The child was taken to Mary Bridge Childrens hospital, while the driver was held on suspicion of vehicular assault and driving under the influence, police said.
The boy was holding his father’s hand while crossing the street when he was hit, police told KOMO News.
Most Read Local Stories
- Mount Rainier National Park suspends ground search for missing UW professor
- Military, police in Washington state prepare for possible civil unrest after election
- Crews vacuum 'murder hornets' out of nest in Washington state VIEW
- Coronavirus daily news updates, October 24: What to know today about COVID-19 in the Seattle area, Washington state and the world
- Did your ballot reach its destination? Here's how to track it in Washington state