A 35-year-old man was dropped off at Swedish Medical Center/Ballard early Sunday with a gunshot wound to the abdomen. Police have linked him to a reported break-in nearby.
Minutes after a Ballard homeowner called 911 early Sunday to report that he had shot at an intruder, a man was dropped off at a Ballard hospital with a gunshot wound to the abdomen, according to Seattle police.
The homeowner was sleeping when he heard what sounded like someone breaking into his house in the 6700 block of 25th Avenue Northwest around 4:15 a.m., according to a Seattle police online blotter post. He armed himself with a handgun and found an intruder who had already broken into an enclosed mud room and was trying to break into the main house, the post said.
The homeowner fired a round through a door into the mud room, then called 911. When officers responded, a neighbor reported seeing a dark-colored station wagon drive away from the victim’s house.
Ten minutes later, police were notified that a 35-year-old man with a gunshot wound arrived at Swedish Medical Center/Ballard. The injured man was taken to Harborview Medical Center. His condition on Monday was not known.
Most Read Local Stories
- Seattle pollution levels surge, as smoky air returns through at least Wednesday
- Richard Russell was a jokester who complained about work, but Sea-Tac plane heist still baffles friends
- 'Very high threat' Snohomish County volcano may get new monitoring stations
- Closed-door negotiations but no deal in battle over Seattle plan to upzone neighborhoods
- Washington's smoky air looks scary, but UW physician says trust your body's defenses WATCH
Several blocks away, officers came across a man and woman standing outside a dark-colored station wagon and saw fresh blood inside and outside the vehicle, the blotter item said. The car also appeared to contain stolen property. The two were detained and questioned.
Officers arrested the man after discovering he had an outstanding warrant. The woman, who is the sister of the man who was shot, was interviewed and released, according to police.