A 35-year-old man was dropped off at Swedish Medical Center/Ballard early Sunday with a gunshot wound to the abdomen. Police have linked him to a reported break-in nearby.
Minutes after a Ballard homeowner called 911 early Sunday to report that he had shot at an intruder, a man was dropped off at a Ballard hospital with a gunshot wound to the abdomen, according to Seattle police.
The homeowner was sleeping when he heard what sounded like someone breaking into his house in the 6700 block of 25th Avenue Northwest around 4:15 a.m., according to a Seattle police online blotter post. He armed himself with a handgun and found an intruder who had already broken into an enclosed mud room and was trying to break into the main house, the post said.
The homeowner fired a round through a door into the mud room, then called 911. When officers responded, a neighbor reported seeing a dark-colored station wagon drive away from the victim’s house.
Ten minutes later, police were notified that a 35-year-old man with a gunshot wound arrived at Swedish Medical Center/Ballard. The injured man was taken to Harborview Medical Center. His condition on Monday was not known.
Most Read Local Stories
- Antibiotics in beef: Burger chains are failing the test, except for a couple right here in Washington
- A $21,634 bill? How a homeless woman fought her way out of tow-company hell | Danny Westneat
- Washington Supreme Court rules sentencing youth to life without parole is unconstitutional
- Congressional candidates Dino Rossi and Kim Schrier clash in lone debate in Ellensburg
- Large metal balls zip along West Seattle street, damaging several cars
Several blocks away, officers came across a man and woman standing outside a dark-colored station wagon and saw fresh blood inside and outside the vehicle, the blotter item said. The car also appeared to contain stolen property. The two were detained and questioned.
Officers arrested the man after discovering he had an outstanding warrant. The woman, who is the sister of the man who was shot, was interviewed and released, according to police.