Police determined that a 911 call about someone seen with a gun on the grounds of Bainbridge High School was a false report.
A Bainbridge High School security officer has been arrested for allegedly calling in a false report of a person with a gun on school grounds.
Bainbridge Island Police arrested him Thursday on suspicion of false reporting, a gross misdemeanor, according to a news release from the City of Bainbridge Island.
On Wednesday, officers responded to a 911 call of someone on the school campus with a gun.
After investigating, police determined the call was a false report and continued to look into the source of the call.
Most Read Local Stories
- Coronavirus daily news updates, September 30: What to know today about COVID-19 in the Seattle area, Washington state and the world
- At least 25 infected in COVID-19 outbreak at Salish Lodge
- Suspect turns himself in after shooting 3 people at Edmonds market, killing one WATCH
- Smoke again headed to Seattle area, but don't panic
- If the coast is clear, you can legally coast your bike through stop signs in Washington state
“When the incident occurred many children, parents, staff members, and community members were made to unnecessarily experience extreme fear,”Bainbridge Island Police Chief Matthew Hamner said in the news release. “We recognized immediately the need to determine the source of the false reporting, and take swift action to prevent this type of situation from occurring again in our community.”