An inmate found dead in his cell at the Yakima County jail Wednesday morning was stabbed to death by two other inmates.
YAKIMA — Authorities say an inmate found dead in his cell at the Yakima County jail Wednesday morning was stabbed to death by two other inmates.
KATU-TV reports 27-year-old Timothy Denton had been arrested 11 hours before he was killed in a “violent ambush,” investigators from the Yakima County Sheriff’s Office said Thursday.
Eric Romero, 25, and Hilario Sosa, 19, were charged with first-degree murder and are scheduled to appear in court Thursday afternoon. Officials said the pair waited for guards to sweep the area Wednesday morning before attacking Denton.
Investigators have not said if there was a motive behind the attack. Denton had been arrested by Yakima police and booked into the jail for assault.
Most Read Local Stories
- Take Space Needle out of Seattle’s skyline and most think we’re a certain no-nonsense Midwest city WATCH
- King County wants to shoot fireworks at bald eagles WATCH
- Where Seattle ranks among Washington's safest and least safe cities
- A better ride for 26,000 Seattle commuters when Metro buses shift to Columbia Street
- Bernie Sanders tells big Tacoma Dome crowd the Democratic establishment 'should be getting nervous' VIEW