An inmate found dead in his cell at the Yakima County jail Wednesday morning was stabbed to death by two other inmates.
YAKIMA — Authorities say an inmate found dead in his cell at the Yakima County jail Wednesday morning was stabbed to death by two other inmates.
KATU-TV reports 27-year-old Timothy Denton had been arrested 11 hours before he was killed in a “violent ambush,” investigators from the Yakima County Sheriff’s Office said Thursday.
Eric Romero, 25, and Hilario Sosa, 19, were charged with first-degree murder and are scheduled to appear in court Thursday afternoon. Officials said the pair waited for guards to sweep the area Wednesday morning before attacking Denton.
Investigators have not said if there was a motive behind the attack. Denton had been arrested by Yakima police and booked into the jail for assault.
Most Read Local Stories
- You return $10,000 found on Issaquah road: Your reward?
- Seattle area to climb toward 80 degrees as clear skies offer chance to see Lyrid meteor shower
- Coronavirus daily news updates, April 15: What to know today about COVID-19 in the Seattle area, Washington state and the world
- Seattle really is 'CRAZYTOWN' — and it will be our salvation after a rough year
- It was an old apple orchard. Now it could be the future of clean hydrogen energy in Washington state