An inmate found dead in his cell at the Yakima County jail Wednesday morning was stabbed to death by two other inmates.
YAKIMA — Authorities say an inmate found dead in his cell at the Yakima County jail Wednesday morning was stabbed to death by two other inmates.
KATU-TV reports 27-year-old Timothy Denton had been arrested 11 hours before he was killed in a “violent ambush,” investigators from the Yakima County Sheriff’s Office said Thursday.
Eric Romero, 25, and Hilario Sosa, 19, were charged with first-degree murder and are scheduled to appear in court Thursday afternoon. Officials said the pair waited for guards to sweep the area Wednesday morning before attacking Denton.
Investigators have not said if there was a motive behind the attack. Denton had been arrested by Yakima police and booked into the jail for assault.
Most Read Local Stories
- Detectives say simmering gang war in South King County is behind fatal shooting of an office worker in Burien
- San Francisco is cracking down on tent camps. Will Seattle do the same? VIEW
- State Patrol crackdown on HOV violators snares more than 1,700 drivers in Puget Sound area
- Stray bullet kills woman inside Burien office; drive-by shooting suspects at large
- ‘What a mess’: Texts by Seattle mayor, council member shed light on head-tax repeal | Times Watchdog