An inmate found dead in his cell at the Yakima County jail Wednesday morning was stabbed to death by two other inmates.
YAKIMA — Authorities say an inmate found dead in his cell at the Yakima County jail Wednesday morning was stabbed to death by two other inmates.
KATU-TV reports 27-year-old Timothy Denton had been arrested 11 hours before he was killed in a “violent ambush,” investigators from the Yakima County Sheriff’s Office said Thursday.
Eric Romero, 25, and Hilario Sosa, 19, were charged with first-degree murder and are scheduled to appear in court Thursday afternoon. Officials said the pair waited for guards to sweep the area Wednesday morning before attacking Denton.
Investigators have not said if there was a motive behind the attack. Denton had been arrested by Yakima police and booked into the jail for assault.
Most Read Local Stories
- Flight to Seattle diverted after severe turbulence; 5 injured
- Snow emergency declared in East King County, as thaw continues in rest of region VIEW
- No more snow for Seattle, and a dry weekend ahead — but the cold could still complicate things
- Crews will begin to crunch the Alaskan Way Viaduct into 3-inch chunks this week WATCH
- Former Eastside lawmaker arrested after drinking with underage relative, police say