An inmate found dead in his cell at the Yakima County jail Wednesday morning was stabbed to death by two other inmates.
YAKIMA — Authorities say an inmate found dead in his cell at the Yakima County jail Wednesday morning was stabbed to death by two other inmates.
KATU-TV reports 27-year-old Timothy Denton had been arrested 11 hours before he was killed in a “violent ambush,” investigators from the Yakima County Sheriff’s Office said Thursday.
Eric Romero, 25, and Hilario Sosa, 19, were charged with first-degree murder and are scheduled to appear in court Thursday afternoon. Officials said the pair waited for guards to sweep the area Wednesday morning before attacking Denton.
Investigators have not said if there was a motive behind the attack. Denton had been arrested by Yakima police and booked into the jail for assault.
Most Read Local Stories
- Inslee sets goal of 45,000 COVID-19 vaccinations a day in Washington; everyone 65 and older eligible now
- A worrying coronavirus mutation is discovered in Washington state — but hasn't spread
- Seattle police chief fires officer for racist remark after fellow officers report him
- How to know when it's your turn to get a coronavirus vaccine
- Coronavirus daily news updates, January 17: What to know today about COVID-19 in the Seattle area, Washington state and the world