Seattle police are examining surveillance video in hopes of learning more about the drive-by shooting that injured five on Capitol Hill early Sunday morning.

Share story

Plywood covered the opening of a plate-glass window that was blown out by weekend gunfire at the QFC grocery store on Pike Street and Broadway on Monday morning, but that was the only obvious sign of the violence that erupted on the Capitol Hill corner.

Though five people were injured in the drive-by shooting around 1 a.m. Sunday — four from gunshots and one from flying glass — no one was seriously hurt, according to Seattle police. Witnesses reported hearing an argument nearby before shots were fired from a silver sedan that then sped west on Pike Street, police said.

Three of the five people who were injured had been discharged from Harborview Medical Center by Monday morning and a fourth victim, who was listed in satisfactory condition, was expected to be discharged later in the day, said hospital spokeswoman Susan Gregg.

The fifth person is in satisfactory condition.

The Seattle Police Department’s Gang Unit is leading the investigation and detectives “are combing through all the video they were able to get” from nearby businesses, as well as one witness’s dashboard camera, said Det. Patrick Michaud, a police spokesman.

It could take awhile to view all the footage to see if video-surveillance cameras in the area “caught anything before, during and after” the incident to help detectives build a timeline for the shooting, he said.

Michaud couldn’t provide any additional information about where the argument may have started or what it was about but said those details will likely emerge as the investigation continues.

He encouraged any witnesses who may have video of the incident or those who haven’t yet spoken to officers about what they saw to call the department’s nonemergency line at 206-625-5011.

In response to the shooting, police plan to increase nighttime foot patrols in the area. Last year, after an increase of street crime on Capitol Hill, Seattle police instituted added patrols to the area.

Sam Osborne was in bed early Sunday morning, working on his computer, when he heard “a pretty long burst of gunshots” about a block away from his apartment building. Seconds later, he heard the first police sirens heading to the shooting scene, he said, noting the site is near the Seattle Police Department’s East Precinct, at 12th Avenue and Pine Street.

“The cops got there very quickly,” he said, estimating that a dozen shots were fired.

The 23-year-old jumped out of bed, threw on his shoes and ran to the intersection to see if he could offer any help. He noticed plenty of people out, many of them smoking in front of area bars.

“I was stone-cold sober … but I think everybody was drunk and didn’t know what was happening,” Osborne said.

When he got to the corner, paramedics were already loading a woman onto a stretcher, he said.

Osborne saw one person lying in front of the plate-glass window, and another man, who had been shot in the leg, hopping on one foot in the middle of Pike Street without a shirt on. Police “got him under control” and escorted him to an ambulance, Osborne said.

“With 12 shots fired in that quick a succession, it’s a miracle nobody’s dead,” he said Monday.