Police are investigating three unrelated crimes targeting gay men and a transgender victim that occurred hours apart on Sunday.

Share story

Police are investigating three unrelated hate crimes targeting gay men and a transgender victim that occurred hours apart on Sunday, the same day hundreds of people attended the annual Pride parade in downtown Seattle.

Two men were arrested in separate incidents and booked into the King County Jail on investigation of malicious harassment, the state’s hate-crime statute, jail records show. Both men made court appearances Monday afternoon: One was released on personal recognizance while the second was ordered held on $25,000 bail, according to King County prosecutors.

No one was arrested in the first incident detailed on the Seattle Police Department’s online blotter:

Around 2 a.m. Sunday, a group of three men who were accompanied by two women viciously beat a gay couple near Pike Street and Boylston Avenue. One of the victims was sitting on the street when one of his alleged attackers struck his hand, told him “we’re celebrating Pride, too,” and used a gay slur, according to the blotter post. The same assailant punched the man in the face, knocking him down. When the man’s boyfriend intervened, the two other males joined in, knocking the second victim to the ground and repeatedly kicking both men as they lay on the pavement.

One of the men suffered a broken nose while the other had a tooth knocked out and possibly broke his hand, police reported.

Anyone with information about the attack is asked to call detectives at 206-233-5000.

The second incident happened a little after 5 p.m., when a man wearing rainbow-colored beads was walking in the 1900 block of Westlake Avenue, according to police. He accidentally bumped into a 23-year-old man, who swore at him, used a gay slur and pressed what the victim thought was a gun into his stomach, then asking him, “Is your life worth that much?” according to the online item.

The alleged victim flagged down a bicycle-unit sergeant, who with other bike officers took the 23-year-old into custody, the post says. The suspect used a gay slur, referring to his alleged victim, during his discussion with the officers, it says.

The suspect was identified Monday as Dejuan Sanders of Seattle, according to the probable-cause statement outlining the police case against him. Seattle officers did not find a gun on Sanders when he was arrested, nor did they find a weapon on the route he had walked, it says. Sanders was released on personal recognizance and is scheduled to make his second court appearance on Wednesday, according to King County prosecutors.

The third attack against a transgender individual occurred around 8:45 p.m. near Yale Avenue and Denny Way, according to the online blotter.

Officers arrested William Parr, 35, of Seattle at a bus stop around 9:20 p.m. at Eastlake Avenue and Mercer Street, according to the probable-cause statement. A judge on Monday ordered Parr held in jail in lieu of $25,000 bail, according to prosecutors. Parr is also scheduled to make his second court appearance on Wednesday.

The alleged victim was walking east on Denny when a man and a woman approached and asked, “Did you enjoy your parade?” and used a gay slur. The man repeatedly punched the victim in the face and the woman jumped on the victim’s back, slapping the victim’s head in rapid succession, the post and statements say. As the victim lay sprawled on the sidewalk, the man put his foot on the victim’s head before both suspects ran away, according to the documents.

The victim called 911 and was treated by medics at the scene, then drove around with officers and helped locate the male suspect, according to the post.  Police are still working to locate the man’s female accomplice, it says.