The suspect in the shooting of a 40-year-old woman in Renton was arrested after returning to the scene.
A 40-year-old woman who was shot and critically injured in Renton on Tuesday has improved to satisfactory condition, according to a hospital official.
Police on Tuesday arrested a man suspected in the shooting that left the woman in critical condition and a nearby elementary school placed on precautionary lockdown.
Most Read Local Stories
- Debt collectors that ‘sue, sue, sue’ can squeeze Washington state consumers for more cash
- Charging extra to get there? The Boeing story is yet another sign we're a corporatocracy | Danny Westneat
- City removes homeless camp near Seattle's Fremont Troll that was site of overdoses
- Woman sets world record in Seattle for calculating the value of pi to 31.4 trillion decimal places | Nicole Brodeur
- Man dies after bus hits his car on I-90 near North Bend
The suspect was identified as Joshua Gasperich by police on Twitter. The tweet said Gasperich was driving a blue Toyota pickup and was to be considered armed and dangerous.
The shooting occurred about noon at 2700 N.E. Ninth St., police wrote in a tweet. The victim was transported to Harborview Medical Center in Seattle. By Wednesday morning, the victim had improved to satisfactory condition, hospital spokeswoman Susan Gregg said.
Renton police arrested Gasperich after he returned to the area near the shooting and drove past officers, said Renton police spokesman David Leibman. Officers pulled Gasperich over “and he gave up without any incident,” Leibman said.
Officers do not know why he returned to the area, Leibman said. He was arrested on investigation of felony assault, Leibman said.
Police believe the victim “was there to serve some form of an eviction notice” but do not know other details about the relationship between the two, Leibman said. Officers believe the suspect used a rifle.
Highlands Elementary School was not directly threatened, but its front entrance was locked down for safety reasons, according to Renton police. The school was no longer on lockdown after Gasperich was arrested, Leibman said.