Seattle police apprehended two suspects following a chase.
A man who was shot in the Rainier Valley on Friday afternoon was driven to Harborview Medical Center, but died before he could be make it into the emergency room, according to Seattle police.
Just after 1 p.m., police responded to a report of shots fired near Rainier Avenue South and South Genesee Street, “but couldn’t find anybody at that location” who had suffered gunshot wounds, said department spokesman Mark Jamieson.
Simultaneously, police were notified that a man had been driven to Harborview with life-threatening gunshot wounds. It was quickly determined the two calls were related, he said.
Seattle Fire Department medics performed CPR on the man, but he died outside the hospital’s emergency entrance, according to Jamieson. “I don’t believe he made it into the ER,” he said.
Most Read Local Stories
- Seattle-area protests: Police declare a riot as demonstrators gather for fourth day to call for police accountability
- Coronavirus daily news updates, June 1: What to know today about COVID-19 in the Seattle area, Washington state and the world
- King County will apply to enter a modified Phase 1 of coronavirus recovery. Here's what that means.
- Coronavirus outbreak strikes Seattle factory trawler as most of 126 crew tests positive
- Seattle area protest updates: City reacts to George Floyd killing, Bellevue imposes curfew amid protests
Detectives responded to both scenes to conduct interviews and search for evidence.
Around 3 p.m., officers in the Rainier Valley spotted a vehicle matching the description of the vehicle reportedly used in the shooting near Rainier Avenue South and South Henderson Street and attempted to pull the car over, but the driver sped off, Jamieson said.
At some point during the pursuit, three occupants abandoned the car at 47th Avenue South and South Thistle Street and ran off, he said. Officers caught two of the three suspects and took them into custody for questioning while the third got away, said Jamieson.
He said a firearm was recovered and the car was impounded.