Share story

A construction worker on Capitol Hill who accidentally set himself on fire while using a blow-torch is in critical condition at Harborview Medical Center, according to the Seattle Fire Department.

Bystanders saw the male in his 40s on fire near Broadway East and East Thomas Street after his torch lit a bottle of flammable liquids and then himself on fire, said the SFD’s Fireline blog. He has first-, second- and third-degree burns on his hands, legs, and torso, but was conscious and alert when taken to the hospital.