The ship's captain said video footage from a ship camera shows someone going into the sea from an eighth-deck balcony. The body of a 73-year-old man was recovered Tuesday afternoon.

Share story

The U.S. Coast Guard says it has recovered the body of a man who went overboard from a cruise ship near the mouth of the Strait of Juan de Fuca, near Cape Flattery.

A Coast Guard helicopter rescue crew recovered the unresponsive man from the water Tuesday afternoon and flew him to a waiting  Emergency Medical Service crew on shore. From there, the man was taken to the Olympic Medical Center in Port Angeles where he was pronounced dead, the Coast Guard said.

“We offer our deepest condolences to the family and friends of the victim who were affected by this tragedy,” said Capt. M.M. Balding, Coast Guard Sector Puget Sound Commanding Officer. “Any time we are unable to accomplish our goal of saving lives, we are deeply saddened. Our thoughts are with them in their time of grief.”

Coast Guard Sector Puget Sound Command Center was contacted about 4:30 a.m. by the cruise ship Regent Seven Seas Mariner reporting a passenger had gone overboard.

A Coast Guard Air Station Port Angeles aircrew, two Station Neah Bay boat crews, the Coast Guard Cutter Wahoo crew and a Canadian Coast Guard helicopter crew thoroughly searched the area before locating and recovering the individual.

The man’s wife was awakened around 4:30 a.m. Tuesday by “a breeze coming from the balcony door cracked open” and discovered her husband missing, the Coast Guard said in one of several early-morning tweets about the rescue effort.

The captain of the cruise ship said video footage from a ship camera shows a passenger going into the sea from an eighth-deck balcony at 4:15 a.m., the Coast Guard said.

The crew of the Cutter Wahoo, a boat crew from Station Neah Bay and an aircrew from Air Station Port Angeles are among those responding.

The initial report from the Coast Guard was that the man had jumped from the 8th deck of the boat. The Coast Guard later clarified there was no indication the man jumped.