Join a live chat with reporter Mike Berens today at noon about his recent report on zoo elephants, “Glamour Beasts.”
Berens wrote about how zoos’ efforts to preserve and propagate elephants have largely failed, and about the punishment that zoos faced from the national zoo association if they retired their aged elephants to a nonprofit sanctuary.
This series coincided with the birth of a baby elephant Friday at the Oregon Zoo in Portland, which the zoo industry declared a victory in its quest to preserve an endangered species. The newborn calf is the legal property of a controversial traveling elephant show, according to a contract between the Oregon Zoo and the company that was obtained by The Times.
Most Read Local Stories
- Seattle-area residents should prepare for wild weather ahead, forecasters say
- King County customers of restaurants, theaters, gyms must show proof of COVID-19 vaccination or negative test
- COVID-19 kills Moses Lake couple, orphans their 8-year-old after visit to the fair
- 15-year-old SeaTac girl charged with murder, hit-and-run in July death of Maple Valley runner
- Scientists spot rare, mysterious right whales in waters off Alaska